The Beginning of the
Change
By Evelyn
As I was heading to bed, I could feel the
anticipation about the severe weather warnings that were being reported for the
following day. I had a bad feeling that I was not going to enjoy walking Nimbus
tomorrow. I crossed my fingers that I was wrong as I drifted off to sleep.
It started as a normal day. Perhaps a little
stormy but normal, nonetheless. Maybe the anticipation of this dreaded storm would
turn out to be for nothing. I woke up early around 6:30am and opened my book.
The next thing I knew mum was calling, “Sophia, breakfast.” I tucked my short
black hair behind my ears and headed downstairs, my husky Nimbus following
closely behind.
Me, my mum and my dad live in a small seaside
village right opposite the sea. My bedroom has a window ledge seat meaning I
can overlook the quiet street below me and observe the hustle and bustle. The
local area provides a great walk for Nimbus as we love weaving through the
colourful buildings and splashing around in the waves as they crash against the
shore after digging in search of his buried balls and treats.
“It’s looking pleasant out there today,” said mum
and I could hear the sarcasm roll off her tongue.
“Just lovely,” I replied.
The thing is, that day I was hoping to meet up
with Neve at our favourite café. However, the huge grey storm cloud looming
above us said differently.
The rest of the morning went by very slowly.
After breakfast me and mum threw on as many waterproof layers as we could find
and went to walk Nimbus. For whatever reason he seemed to really enjoy the
hostile rain that battered our faces. That made one of us!
Later in the day the storm really picked up. The
wind whipped around and the sea thrashed as if it was angry. We watched as the
waves grew higher and higher. I stroked Nimbus behind the ear nervously as the
crest of the waves began to reach to the top of the sea wall. Soon I saw water
attempting to return to the sea however the sea wall was holding it in place.
The road was beginning to flood.
As the hours went on, we saw people panicking and
contemplating what could be saved without encountering danger from the rising
waters. People were running around knocking on the doors of houses right
opposite the sea. I guessed that people’s relatives didn’t want their families
on the front lines of a battle between land and sea.
The storm ended a few hours later but not without
causing immense damage. I could just
barely see the tops of the cars. As I was watching the news, I got a call from
Neve telling me that our favourite cafe had flooded. We talked for ages about
how terrifying it was to see the waves crash against the sea wall and the water
slowly submerging our front garden. When I got off the phone, I looked up news
about the café. She was right! The RNLI was
called to rescue the employees!
I asked my mum what could have caused such a
horrible flood.
“Global warming could be a major factor for
sure,” she replied looking out of the window at what used to be our front
garden. “One of the main causes is fossil fuels getting caught in our
atmosphere. It’s making our earth hotter which is melting ice caps. That then
causes sea levels to rise. And that’s only one of the problems.”
I headed to my room, opened my laptop and began
researching other places affected by global warming. It turns out that there
are a lot more places across the world that are impacted by climate change,
just like us.
For example, Venice in Italy is a city on the
water, needing boats to move around. Since sea levels started rising Venice has
started sinking. And then, there’s the Amazon. It covers forty percent of South
America and is home to thousands of species. However, climate change has made
it a fragile habitat. I continued to research and thought about everything that
I had learned late into the night. One thought kept coming back to me.
Something needs to change.
The days after the storm were busy. Once the
water disappeared entirely, I helped mum replant the front garden, as well as
helping with the community clean up and joining the new ‘We Must Take Action’
club that was all about different ways we could help the environment and took
place every week in the townhall. The storm hadn’t had very many good effects
on our little seaside town. This was one of the few; people were finally
realising what needed to be done in order to save our planet.
And, from that day on, my life changed. I started to put in as much effort as I could
even if it meant giving up things I would normally use or have every day like
foods using palm oil. I hadn’t realised
how bad I was being to the planet until that flood. However, now I realise that
I can do better. And that’s what I’m
doing. Better. I’ve convinced my school that we all need to play our part so we
have started an eco-club. But in the end, that’s not enough. Everyone on earth
has to play their part in any way they can, no matter how small. For example,
we need to be mindful of travel to reduce our emissions, be aware of our power
use and turn things off when not in use, buy locally and reduce our disposable
packaging, be mindful of food waste, try recycling and reusing what we can and
look into more sustainable companies to buy from.
If we don’t, life as we know it will
disappear. We need to make a change or
else the earth will die and us with it.
Comments
Post a Comment